By Barton Goldsmith, Ph.D.
Good relationships almost never just happen. They usually are a combination of hard work, honest communication, and going the extra mile to add a little magic.
Here are ten tools that long-term successful couples use to make their relationships work.
1.Talk and plan for the future. Goals are important to your overall happiness, and having a contingency plan in case of an emergency will allow you to enjoy your time together more thoroughly.
2. Compliment your mate. Kind words, given at the right time, are fuel for the future to those who are fortunate enough to receive them. Giving compliments to the one you love helps to keep you connected.
3. Ask questions. Show interest in what your other half is doing by asking about what’s going on in his or her life and how he or she is feeling about things. This will create an opportunity to keep your emotions balanced.
4. Be considerate of your partner’s feelings. Making a joke at someone else’s expense alwaysstings the other person. Name-calling is downright insulting. If you engage in this dangerous game, stop while you still have someone to play with.
5. Take care of the business side of your relationship. Money is the cause of nearly one-third of all divorces. If you’re having financial issues, get some professional help to get back on track.
6. Be accountable for your actions. If you screw up, admit it and apologize if it’s called for. Keep your word and know that trust is something that is continually earned.
CLICK HERE to read more.