By Team BLAM
If you turn on your T.V. set, look in your newspaper, or go online today you’ll be flooded with cheers and jeers regarding the landmark legislation that was passed shortly before midnight making New York the 6th and largest state to legalize gay marriage. WOW…this is big! The legal and social implications of such ruling will have a ripple effect. Whether you agree or disagree both you and your children will be impacted. So we’re curious BLAM Fam….how do you feel about gay marriage being legalized? In case you’re confused about this whole thing…below are arguments (from about.com) by both supporters and opponents of gay marriage. Check them out and chime in and let us know whether you’re for or against gay marriage….and why.
Supporters of Same Sex Marriage – What is Their Case?
What arguement do supporters use in their fight to legalize same sex marriages? Here are some points in their platform.
- The right to marry is a fundemental right protected by the United States Constitution.
- The traditional definition of marriage is a union between two people of the opposite sex. Supporters insist the definition can’t be allowed to be a basis for discrimination.
- Without the legal right to marriage, same sex couples lose their right to health care coverage, family leave, child custody protections, tax protections, inheritance protections, and pension plan options.
- Civil marriages and religious marriages are not the same. Therefore morality and religious arguements against same sex marriages are flawed and should have no standing.
- Permitting legal same sex marriages will not force any religion to perform such ceremonies against their beliefs, doctrine, or morals.
But what about those who strongly oppose same sex marriages or unions. They feel their case is just as compelling. Here are the points they make.
Opponents of Same Sex Marriages – What is Their Case?
The opposition’s argument against same sex marriage is primarily based in religion, and the interpretation of what is moral and immoral. Cultural norms also play a role in the following points.
- Biblically, marriage has been cited as a union between a man and woman and in such a union procreation must not be ruled out. In other words, religion says a man and a woman get married and have children. Same sex couples can’t fulfill that expectation and therefore should not be permitted.
- The natural difference between man and woman, including sexual differences, is what draws them together and forms the basis of their relationship. Without those differences, a committed relationship can not occur.
- Scientifically, marriage between a male and a female is the natural order of life.
- Many religious figures view homsexuality as a sin and therefore any union based on such a relationship is also deemed sinful.
- Some religious leaders believe that allowing same sex marriages or unions will somehow undermine the traditional family unit, the foundation for many religious communities.
- Others feel that the gay community can’t be allowed to redefine marriage and the family unit to suit their own needs.
BLAM Fam what do you think?